Psoriasis is a condition that can greatly and negatively impact a patient’s life. This condition comes in many different forms, from psoriasis of the body to even nail psoriasis. Psoriasis is one of many skin disorders that are diagnosed and treated at Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills in Short Hills, NJ. Our provides encourage patients who are unhappy with their condition to work with our team to find a solution that is right for them.
What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a condition that can be diagnosed with a specialist with experience in dermatologist. Our providers find that patients who have psoriasis struggle with the following symptoms:
- Silvery scales on the skin
- Thickened areas of red skin
- Burning and itching sensation
- Pain from areas affected
The condition develops from the overproduction of skin cells which congregate on the skin. Psoriasis can develop on various areas of the body, including the nails, scalp, and the groin area. This can make the condition very uncomfortable and lead patients to a dermatologist for a diagnosis and effective treatment.
What types of psoriasis may be diagnosed?
Psoriasis comes in various forms. The condition may be diagnosed as:
- Nail psoriasis
- Pustulate psoriasis
- Inverse psoriasis
- Guttate psoriasis
- Erythrodermic psoriasis
- Plaque psoriasis
- Psoriatic arthritis
How can psoriasis be treated and controlled?
There is currently no cure for psoriasis. However, patients may have access to treatments that can help in controlling the problem and providing relief. Some of the more common methods of treatment include:
- Topical therapies – most patients find success in the use of topical creams and ointments that have prescription-strength ingredients to help soften and remove scaling while reducing itching and promoting healing.
- Phototherapy – light therapy, performed at the doctor’s office, can help with severe and recurring psoriasis.
- Internal medications – some medications may be used in an oral form to help fight the problem from the inside out. These may include retinoids, cyclosporine, and methotrexate.
Ready to seriously address your psoriasis?
Contact Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills in Short Hills, NJ today to discuss your options. Call (973) 232-6245 and visit the office at 636 Morris Turnpike, Suite 2H. We are here to help patients who are new to our practice and those who have been working with us for years! Take charge of your psoriasis and start finding relief with the help of our dermatological professionals!