Summer calls for long, warm days with the sun on your skin and the sand at your feet. However, it can also be a time when your skin needs to change. At Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills in Short Hills, NJ, we encourage patients to work with a dermatologist to ensure that they are keeping their skin healthy and glowing all year long. For many patients, this means changing up their skin care routine and paying closer attention to protecting their skin from sun damage.
The team at Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills has compiled this list of recommendations and summer skincare tips for patients to consider as they ease into the warm air for playtime and vacation!
- Moisturize. While the skin may feel oily and sweat can build up, it is still important to moisturize. If the skin dries out, especially with sun exposure, the oil glands will increase oil production and in turn, make acne worse.
- Use sunblock every day. Patients should be utilizing a high SPF sunblock every day on exposed skin, all year round, to protect from damaging UV rays from the sun. We recommend a sunblock with an SPF of 30 or higher. Reapply as directed when spending extensive time outside.
- Change up your skincare routine. Switch from a heavy cleanser, such as those with creams or oils, to a gentler foaming cleanser that still hydrates the skin while feeling lighter.
- Exfoliate the skin regularly to remove dead skin cells and oil. It is recommended to exfoliate once a week, especially for those with acne prone skin.
- Use noncomedogenic cosmetics. Pore-clogging ingredients can be extremely problematic during the summer months, so switch to lightweight foundations and cosmetics that are marked as noncomedogenic to allow your skin to breathe and avoid clogging pores.
- Avoid over showering or bathing in hot water. How water can over dry the skin, so reduce your tub time and keep water warm, not hot.
Call Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills today
Schedule a visit with our providers in Short Hills, NJ to discuss your skincare needs. We are open to new and established patients who call our office at (973) 232-6245 for an appointment, and are conveniently located in Suite #2H at 636 Morris Turnpike.