How can I manage my rosacea?
Men and women who have rosacea know how bothersome it can be and how it may keep them from feeling confident in their own skin. At Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills, we help patients in the Short Hills, NJ, area in getting a proper diagnosis of their conditions and finding solutions to help. If you need assistance in managing your rosacea, our dermatologists are here for you!
Tips for managing rosacea
If you have rosacea, there are a number of things you can do to help keep it under control. Here are some tips:
- Use gentle skincare products. Avoid scrubbing or exfoliating your skin, as this can irritate it and make your rosacea worse. Instead, opt for mild cleansers and moisturizers that won’t strip your skin of its natural oils.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Wear a sunscreen or sunblock that has an SPF of 30 or higher every day and apply it generously. Also, wear a large-rimmed hat or other protective clothing when you are outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Avoid triggers that can worsen your rosacea. These triggers can include hot drinks, spicy foods, alcohol, and exposure to cold weather or wind. If you are unsure what your triggers are, keep a diary of when your rosacea flares up. This can help you identify patterns.
- Treat your rosacea promptly. If you notice signs of a flare-up, such as redness, swelling, or pimples, treat the area with a topical medication prescribed by your doctor. You may also need to take oral antibiotics to control the inflammation.
- See your doctor regularly. In addition to treating flare-ups, regular checkups with your doctor can help you prevent rosacea from getting worse. They also monitor you for any complications, such as eye problems.
Request a visit with an experienced dermatologist to learn more
With these tips, you can keep your rosacea under control and enjoy a better quality of life and more self-confidence. If you reside in the community of Short Hills, NJ, and want to speak to a provider who can help educate you on ways to manage your rosacea, consider talking to the team at Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills. The team can be reached to request an appointment by calling 973-232-6245 today!