Six skin care tips for men
In the past, men often kept their skin care regimens simple and no-fuss, but more and more men are finding that with the right care and products, they can maintain a youthful, healthy look. The providers at Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills in Short Hills, NJ encourage men to consider some of the following tips and recommendations for achieving healthy skin and taking good care of their appearance:
- Identify your skin type. There are many different skin types including sensitive skin, normal skin, dry skin, oily skin, and combination skin. Understanding the type of skin you have will make it easier to care for the skin and select the right products for your needs.
- Pay close attention to product labels and ingredients. You want to be sure that the products you are using are appropriate for your unique skin type. For example, patients with sensitive skin will want to choose gentle cleansers, while those with acne-prone skin will want to seek out oil-free products to avoid clogging pores.
- Avoid products labeled as unscented. Many of these include harsh ingredients that can irritate sensitive skin.
- Washing the face daily and after exercise. Use a mild cleanser to clean the face as needed. Avoid using bar soap as it can be incredibly drying for most people. Choose a mild facial cleanser that works with your skin type.
- Pay attention to how you shave. Don’t shave too close or you’ll experience razor bumps and ingrown hairs. Avoid pulling the skin tight when shaving and utilize a moisturizing cream. She with a single blade razor in the direction of hair growth.
- Check for unusual spots. New spots, moles, or other growths on the skin may indicate skin cancer. Any suspicious spots should eb evaluated by a dermatologist to catch skin early. With early detection and treatment, skin cancer is highly treatable.
Discuss skin care solutions for your unique situation
There is no “one size fits all” approach to skin care as everyone is different. If you are not sure about your skin type or have questions about how to care for your skin properly, book an appointment at Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills to speak to our doctors regarding your options. The office is conveniently located at 636 Morris Turnpike, Suite 2H and can be reached by phone at (973) 232-6245. Our doctors serve patients in and around the area of Short Hills, New Jersey.