Tips and Recommendations for Managing Winter Eczema
At Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills in Short Hills, NJ, we understand that certain skin conditions, such as eczema, can flare up during the colder winter months. Itching, redness, and rashes can be a serious problem during the months of December and January especially. By working with a skilled dermatologist, you can learn more about ways to manage eczema during this time to feel more comfortable in your skin during the holiday season.
What is eczema?
Eczema, which is also known as atopic dermatitis, is a common skin condition that can cause itching, redness, and rashes on the skin. It is often found in children but can continue into adulthood. Eczema has no cure, but it can be managed with proper treatment and care. Many patients who deal with it know how a fluctuation in weather and the elements can significantly impact the skin. This is a great time to talk to a dermatologist to determine the best way to keep flare-ups from occurring and maintain hydrated and moisturized skin.
Managing eczema in the winter
Here are some tips for managing your eczema during this time, as compiled by our team here at Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills:
- Keep your skin moisturized by using thick, emollient-based creams or ointments after taking a warm shower or bath.
- Wear gloves and cover other exposed skin when going outside in cold weather to protect against dryness and irritation.
- Avoid harsh soaps or detergents that can aggravate the skin. Look for products labeled “fragrance-free” or “for sensitive skin.”
- Consider using a humidifier in your home to add moisture to the air and prevent dryness.
- Talk to your dermatologist about topical prescription medications or oral medications that may help control flare-ups.
Educate yourself further on how to care for eczema in harsh winter months!
Remember, keep your eczema under control during the winter so you can enjoy all the fun activities the season has to offer! If you have any specific concerns or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills. Our providers are here to help and educate you on maintaining rash-free skin that is comfortable and moisturized! Call 973-232-6245 to request an appointment at our practice, conveniently located in Short Hills, NJ.